Wednesday, September 05, 2007

ARE YOU BLESSED OR ARE YOU BLACKLISTED?

q
MASSACHUSETTS SB 63
“An Act to Further Regulate the Access of Birth Certificates”

SB 63 is one of the worst bills ever devised in adoption history. Under SB 63, adopted adults will be separated into two distinct categories based solely on dates of birth. I call them the BLESSED LIST and the BLACK LIST.

MASSACHUSETTS’ BLESSED LIST.

1. Adopted men and women who were born before July 17, 1974
.
2. Adopted children who will be born after January 1, 2008.

If you are the Blessed list, you will be able to request and receive from the Commonwealth’s Registrar your original birth certificates without any restrictions.


MASSACHUSETTS BLACK LIST

1. Adopted men and women who were born between the dates ofJuly 17, 1974 and January 1, 2008.

2. Adopted adults in all of the United States and Canada. This bill has the potential to set an unacceptable precedent in adoption law. If one state, Massachusetts, is allowed to blatantly discriminate against 34 years of adoptees, the potential for other states to copycat is great.If you are on the Black List, you will only be able to request your original birth certificate by petitioning the courts.


HOW CAN YOU PROTEST TODAY?

SB 63 has passed both the Senate and the House and is awaiting the governor's signature within the next few days. Please phone, fax or email Governor Deval Patrick IMMEDIATELY and tell him to veto SB 63.

The Honorable Governor of Massachusetts Deval Patrick
Phone: 617 - 725 -4005
Fax (in state only) 617-927-9725
Email: http:www.mass.gov/


HOW CAN YOU PROTEST IN NOVEMBER?

ALL ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES!

THE SPONSORS OF SB 63 MUST ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR ACTIONS. THEY MUST BE VOTED OUT OF OFFICE.

SENATOR FREDERIC E. BERRY, Republican. Represents the districts of Second Essex, which includes Beverly, Peabody, Salem, Danvers, and Topsfield

SENATOR KAREN E. SPILKA. Democrat, Majority Leader of Senate, 2003 – 2008. Represents the districts of Second Middlesex and Norfolk

REPRESENTATIVE JOHN. A. LEPPER. Democrat, Minority Whip 2003 – present. Represents the Attleboro District, precincts one, two, and three
.
Save this list and watch for these names at the next election!

PLEASE FORWARD FREELY
posted by Anita at 11:05 AM 0 comments

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Regarding MA SB 63:

While I agree that it is an absolute blow to all adoptees' civil rights to be denied access to original birth records, I am curious why at the very least it is not considered a 'step in the right direction' that the amendment allows, at the very least, a certain date range of adoptees to be granted access.

While this is not a total victory, it is a start. It has taken decades to get this far, but it is still a victory. Please don't forget that while those on the 'blacklist' are inexcusably denied their rights, those on the 'blessed' list (who knows how many thousands or millions there are) will be a step closer to what we've been fighting for. I happen to be one of the 'blessed' and I feel that I would not be if it weren't for the efforts of all of you.

However, Bastard Nation has separated us into 2 groups. Am I now to feel guilty that my and countless others' rights are being restored? In my opinion, this separation is not a positive means of unification. I participate because as adoptees, we all have the same rights. Instead of any positive mention of the obstacles our actions have overcome (no matter how limited), the attitude seems only negative in nature. I can't speak for any others who fall into the 'blessed' category, but I can say that from Bastard Nation's posted point of view it feels alienating. How is this stance progressive and helpful? Perhaps I don't understand the meaning of the bill. Please help me understand...

1:41 AM  
Blogger Lady Cordelia said...

I agree with Kristin. I am also "blessed" and was just reunited with my birth mother on 6/29/08. She is 80 years old - if this bill was quashed, I probably would have been unable to contact her while she is still alive. I found out she never wanted to surrender me but was forced by family and society. She sought help from both the Catholic Church and the Catholic Charities and was told she must bend to her husbands will. She had given up hope that I would find her and was overjoyed she would not carry this burden to her grave!! Her 7 living children are aware of my existence and happy I have been returned to the fold. Those who "blacklisted" are being treated in the most unjust way and this needs to be rectified. I agree that this is a step in the right direction, but until we all have fair and equal access we must continue to fight. I will do anything I can to help those who are not included in SB#63. LASTLY, CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW THEY PICKED 1974???? DID THEY PULL IT OUT OF A HAT?????

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home